Flossing is a very important task that is vital if you wish to have a strong, successful, and healthy smile. However, if you do not floss properly, there is no use in flossing. So, we are here to teach you the steps to a pristine flossing technique:
1. Break off about 18 inches of floss and wind most of it around one of your middle fingers. Then, wind the remaining floss around the middle finger on your opposite hand. This finger will wind and hold the floss that has already been used.
2. Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers.
3. Slide the floss gently between your teeth. Please do your best to not snap the floss into your gums. This could damage the tissues.
4. As you move the floss toward the gums, curve it into a “C” shape and gently slide it into the space between the gums and tooth. Be gentle as you clean the area.
5. Hold the floss tightly against the tooth and gently rub each side, removing the food particles and plaque that are stuck there. Repeat this process between each tooth and remember to floss behind your last tooth.
Remember to use a clean section of floss between every tooth. This will give you the best cleaning job. When you are done flossing, throw the floss away and rinse your mouth with water. If you have questions or if you would like to know which type of floss is best for your smile, please call our office today and talk to a member of our team. We are excited to hear from you!