When you are sick with a cold or the flu, your health is often in a weakened state and is unable to protect itself the way it should. In addition, your oral health can also be at risk, so you should consider treatments focusing on your smile during this time as well.
The benefits of optimum oral health care during cold and flu season include the following:
– Drinking the correct fluids can help treat colds and the flu. For your oral health, you should always keep your distance from drinks that contain sugar.
– Stay hydrated and avoid foods or medications that can result in dry mouth symptoms.
– Never share or use some else’s toothbrush as the likelihood for colds and the flu will increase.
– Even if you currently suffer from a cold or flu, it is still vital to continue your daily oral health care routines including brushing and flossing.
– If you prefer cough drops, always look for sugar-free versions, as sugars will continue to damage your tooth enamel.
– Stay away from brushing your teeth immediately after being sick if you are vomiting, as your teeth are subject to the harmful acids in your stomach and brushing will only make it worse.
If you would like to experience the life-changing transformation that dental care can provide, please stop by Cindy Walker, DMD, PA for an oral exam from Dr. and our team at our amazing dentist facility in Garner, North Carolina. Schedule your visit by calling us at (919) 773-0004. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.