This holiday season it is important to make sure you’re keeping your smile safe from numerous oral health risks that can destroy it. Not only is the risk of dental erosion and cavities often present to an increased degree, so is gum disease. Gum disease refers to an infection of your gum tissues that can arise via numerous ailments. Thus, it is important to determine the risk factors for gum disease, which include the following:
– Drug abuse can lead to gum disease.
– Chewing or smoking tobacco is a known cause of gum disease.
– If you have any hormonal changes in your body, specifically if you are a young girl, it can drastically increase the rate at which gingivitis, an early stage of gum disease, can arise.
– A failure to visit your dentist for routine checkups and oral examinations can increase your risk for poor oral hygiene and gum disease.
– Diabetes is a known risk factor for gum disease.
– Significant changes in your life, especially during pregnancy, can increase your risk for gum disease.
– The medications you’re taking or the foods you’re eating can contribute to a rise in gum disease.
– Genetic predispositions and a family history of gum disease can increase your risk.
It’s never too late for gum disease treatment from Cindy Walker, DMD, PA. Enhancing your smile is as easy as picking up your phone and dialing (919) 773-0004 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Cindy Walker and our team at our dentist office in Garner, North Carolina.